Thursday, November 18, 2004

Breakfast, Bread, Garlic, Lard: Piritot Zsiros Kenyer (Toasted Lard Bread)

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick sliced bread (sort of like sourdough, but not sourdough bread)
  • Lard (homemade pork fat kind, not store bought crap)
  • Fresh peeled whole garlic cloves
  • salt

Prepartion:

  • Over medium heat, toast the bread in a cast iron skillet.
  • Once you turn the bread over to toast the other side, rub the toasted side with the fresh garlic cloves. Make sure to rub it all over it really well to get the garlic flavor everywhere.
  • Once the other side is done toasting, remove from the pan and rub it with garlic as well.
  • Next, spread some lard on it. Be generous, but don't overdo it. Only do this on one side.
  • The final step is to sprinkle a generous amount of salt on each piece.

Serving:

  • Serve for breakfast with a cup or two of Horvath Tea.

Note:

  • This was one of my favorite breakfast meals. Not only did I get Horvath Tea, but I got this. It was always fun waiting for the next piece to come from the pan. My dad, sister and I would always argue over who got the next piece. When I was in Hungary in 1999 my family would often make this, the only difference was they didn't use a cast iron pan. They simply toasted it over the burner of the gas stove.