Thursday, November 18, 2004

Drinks, Hot, Tea: Horvath Tea

History:

  • The making of Horvath Tea has been in my family for years and years. I can remember sipping on a half-cup that my dad would pour from cup to cup to allow it to cool down for me even as a small child. It was often something we had on Sunday mornings with Garlic Toast (look for that recipe soon too). Today, my 5 year old nephew is enjoying the tea on occasion when visiting grandma and grandpa. I hope the tradition lives on.

Ingredients:

  • 4 tea bags of plain Lipton tea (I see they also have a decaf option)
  • 4 scoops of sugar (1 scoop = about 2 Tbsp)
  • 1 shot of Myer's Dark Rum
  • 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
  • Boiling water

Prepartion:

  • In a large teapot, place the sugar, rum, and lemon juice
  • Next, dangle the tea bags in the pot.
  • Fill the pot with boiling water.
  • Put the lid on it and let it sit for about 10 minutes (all before stirring it).
  • Next remove the tea bags and stir.

Serving:

  • Pour it into a cup and enjoy!

Note:

  • On occasion my family would receive or somehow acquire bottles of Hungarian Tea Rum. Yes, they have a special rum for tea that's more fragrant than other rums. The rum is really just in it to add flavor - not to get you drunk. When we were out of Tea Rum we would use Myer's Dark Rum.

2 Comments:

At November 18, 2004 at 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you get drunk off the tea and then have sex with someone?

 
At November 18, 2004 at 10:02 PM, Blogger Katica said...

Uh please... this is family tea. If you split one shot up in a pot of tea, even if I have two cups of tea it's still only about 1/3 of a shot of rum. So you see - I cannot get drunk off that much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home